Saturday, February 17, 2007

Introducing Jasper

This is Jasper, the Market Hog. He was the champion market hog at the Chicago International Livestock Exposition in the early 1970s. He was notable for being the first crossbred hog to win that title, and for having the perfect physique, at least by the standards of that time. Jasper had such a fine bod that they cut him into thin sections and preserved images of those slices (on slides? film? woodcuts?) for use as a teaching tool. I've had this model of Jasper since I was a kid,* and I've kept it by my computer since high school. Jasper is appearing here as a tracking device--every time I try a hog part, I'll mark the photo of Jasper so we can all keep track of which parts I have eaten.


*How many kids grew up with action figures of famous farm animals instead of sports stars or the like? And how many kids heard bed-time stories of farm animals that were famous for being meaty and tasty, instead of talking or hanging out with literary spiders and the like?

[EDIT--Sunday, 10:30 central: If you can't see Jasper, I don't know why. I didn't have any trouble seeing him all day Saturday and Sunday, then he disappeared Sunday night. I deleted the picture that kept disappearing and added a new copy of the picture in a new place, but I haven't the faintest idea why the picture would disappear, or whether the new photo will be more durable.]

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I can't see Jasper!