Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Meat Day!

Meat Day went well. I started the fire at about7:00 that morning, and started cooking about 8:30. It took the turkeys about three hours to cook, and the brisket and pork shoulder about six hours. I couldn't quite fit all the meat at once, so I had to cook the turkeys in shifts, two at at time. It worked well--I was able to switch the turkeys at about the halfway point, with no problems. Everything turned out well. I also found a couple of steaks in the back of the freezer, so I was able to bump up the total amount to just over sixty pounds.

The pictures didn't turn out so well, though. Here's a picture of everything I cooked:



Note that, if you smoke turkeys, black pinfeathers don't matter so much, because the whole thing turns black.

Here's a close-up of a turkey.


The light stripe across his breast is from the string I used to truss his wings.

Meat Day was a success, although there are some things I will do differently the next time I fire up the smoker.

No comments: