Friday, August 11, 2006

More on ditching corn

Dr. Bubba says that I'm waffling by avoiding corn products, but recommending more fat. I don't think so My favorite salad dressing is lemon juice and olive oil (with a touch of shredded parmesan). The olive oil is almost all fat, and the parmesan is fatty, too. But there's no corn products in either one. Here are the ingredients for a popular fat-free dressing (I won't name the brand, since I'm picking on them):
water, ranch seasonings & spices (modified food starch, buttermilk, sugar, salt, sour cream [cream, nonfat milk, cultures], monosodium glutamate, cultured nonfat milk, garlic, onion, less than 2% of spice, green onion, maltodextrin, monoglycerides, lecithin, xanthan gum, disodium phosphate, calcium disodium edta added to protect flavor), corn syrup, maltodextrin, contains less than 2% of natural and artificial flavors, sugar, distilled vinegar, phosphoric acid, titanium dioxide (artificial color), potassium sorbate and sodium benzoate (as preservatives), lactic acid, xanthan gum, garlic puree, onion puree, soybean oil
The red items come from corn. This list does't sound as appetizing as mine, either.

The corn-skipping isn't so much about eating fewer calories as it is about eating food that's better tasting, better for you, better for farmers, and better for the environment. It's an attempt to do well by doing good.

I am waffling on a few things, though. I'm eating cabrito with corn syrup BBQ sauce, and I still eat the occasional low-cal yogurt, which is packed with things that aren't milk or yogurt-making bacteria. I did eat a grass-fed steak yesterday, at Bonnell's Restaurant in Fort Worth. It was the best thing I've had in a long, long time.

No comments: