Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Name that meat!


We had tacos tonight, and this is the meat we put on them. It looks like hamburger, but it's not. It's not pork sausage, either--it's turkey!

I processed four of my turkeys on Saturday. One of the toms was much too big for just two people--seventeen pounds--so I parted him out. I ground up the legs and thighs; that's what we had tonight.

My turkeys are outside all the time, and they sleep on a roost that's about knee-high. They are literally always on their feet, and his legs showed it. They were the same dark red color as beef, and (as you can see) the muscle cooked up very beef-like. It had a strong flavor, as well. It wasn't necessarily beefy, or gamy, or anything specific, but it was strong enough to stand up to the tomatoes, salsa, sour cream, cheese, and avacadoes that went into the tacos.

No comments: